Wednesday, November 09, 2011

(Mis)quoted in CBC article about Blockbusters

My older brother sent me a link to this CBC story, discussing the launch of Modern Warfare 3. It seems the author attended one of my talks at the Montreal International Game Summit, and references my talk in the article.

To clarify -- I didn't actually suggest that the *solution* to the current challenge around blockbuster games was to separate SP and MP into different products, but I did say that the all-digital world makes it possible to do this, and that this is a Good Thing (tm) for consumers, just as it has been a good thing to be able to buy a single song on iTunes vs. an entire album, which is what you used to have to do to get the song you wanted.

In my opinion, blockbusters like Call of Duty will never go away, and nor should they -- they are in many ways the lifeblood of the mainstream games industry. But, I think the current boxed-product retail model really forces publishers to focus almost solely on these huge established franchises, to the detriment of the industry as a whole -- innovation stagnates, players get bored, etc. We've seen it with franchises like Guitar Hero, and who knows, it could happen to CoD as well. Activision has already announced another CoD title for next year, on the eve of MW3's launch. I don't think anyone wants to consider what might happen to the industry's biggest publisher if players were ever to tire of the CoD franchise...

In any case, if you're interested in knowing more about my views on blockbuster games, I welcome you to check out the slides of my recent presentation at MIGS_2011.

As a fan of the CBC, it's cool to be mentioned there, nonetheless.

2 comments:

breakaway lanyard said...

Great information shared here about it. I have visited the link which is full of information. I got the very important knowledge about it. Thanks a lot for sharing it here.

Raphael said...

Great! Glad to hear you found the talk useful and informative.